[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio Observation of Meteors

John Elder wrote:
	From my experience, I would add that there are others on this list that
are much more experienced at this than I am, meteor scatter does not
work well on the HF bands.  For the most part it is a VHF phenomenon, up
into the UHF range.  As I understand it, the meteor scatter automated
counting networks are using 24 hr broadcasts from 'low VHF' TV stations,
and FM broadcast stations for the most part.  Along with a computer and
software to count the relections.  I believe, and stand to be corrected,
that the ionization trail of the meteor reflects the shorter wavelength
VHF signals much better than HF.

	The high powered broadcast stations work well as beacons and they are
fairly widespread across the continent(s).

	A websearch should turn up the websites for the Society for Amateur
Radio Astronomers, and others, who have members who do automated meteor
counts via radio.

	I hope this helps.

	Reference material for meteor scatter available at almost any library -
The ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook, also published by the ARRL, Beyond
Line of Sight a History of VHF Propagation from the Pages of QST, just
for a start.

	I hope this helps,

				Ron (in Gander) VO1AV, formerly FP5EK

--
R & L Thompson, 9 Medcalf St., Gander, NF, Canada A1V 1R9
Tel (709) 256-1179, Fax (709) 256-8638, e-mail rlthompson@thezonedot net

Amateur Radio Station call VO1AV, FP5EK, VE1KM   Grid Square GN28qw
Location 48 57'08" N  054 36'43" W,
Local time UTC - 2.5 hrs Summer, UTC - 3.5 hrs Winter