[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) METEORS VS FIREBALLS/BOLIDES

J. Richard Jacobs wrote:

 I was not going to
> comment on the subject; just sit back and hope someone would get it right
> and everything would be fine.

 bolides and/or
> fireballs (actually one in the same)
>
> Now, for everyone's edification:
>
> A BOLIDE (FIREBALL) IS A METEOR AND IT DOES NOT HAVE TO EXPLODE
> (DISINTEGRATE VIOLENTLY) TO BE CLASSIFIED AS SUCH.

	Chapter and verse please.

	Until the question was raised, this is what I thought too.  However the
only references I have found use the word explode to describe a bolide,
and the second reference said that a bolide may be called a detonating
fireball.  No disrespect intended, however I think the dictionary and
the D.W.R. McKinley's Meteor Science and Engineering book have done more
for my edification.

				Ron (in Gander)

--
R & L Thompson, 9 Medcalf St., Gander, NF, Canada A1V 1R9
Tel (709) 256-1179, Fax (709) 256-8638, e-mail rlthompson@thezonedot net

Amateur Radio Station call VO1AV, FP5EK, VE1KM   Grid Square GN28qw
Location 48 57'08" N  054 36'43" W,
Local time UTC - 2.5 hrs Summer, UTC - 3.5 hrs Winter