[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Reports

Greetings all,
	A question has been raised as to whether reporting a Fireball to the
meteorobs list is appropriate, which is clearly a misunderstanding since it
most certainly is a legitimate post to the meteorobs list, as it is well
within the subject area.
	But is it a Fireball report?
	It depends on what you mean by a fireball report!

	My point is, a post to meteorobs is not an official "report" filed with a
meteor organization such as the NAMN, AMS or IMO to be archived. Perhaps
that is where the misunderstanding is. A useful Scientific Report requires
some detailed information. Anyone is certainly encouraged to post to the
list a copy of a completed report form that is filed with any organization,
or ask questions to help fill one out, or to simply say "I saw this really
cool meteor" and never have any intention of filing a "scientifically
useful" report, just sharing the awe.

	But by itself, a post to meteorbs does not file a " fireball report" with
any organization. In actual fact, it often leads to one. Most of the people
who run or aid every meteor organization on the planet at least lurk here,
and usually someone will contact the exhuberant poster to see if they want
to take the time to fill out an official report. However, to be useful,
enough data must be provided; that is the purpose of a fireball form, to
get the necessary questions answered. It is still up to the original
observer to put in that time and effort, since they are the only ones who
saw the object and know the answers to the questions. Please see the blank
Fireball Report Form posted by Mark and feel free to ask any questions if
anyone ever needs help in filling one out! And I hope you see one soon!

Wayne