[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Some Perseid photos

Having looked at the image

http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is not a meteor but an aircraft.

1) Without having done any astrometry, the path looks to pass some 5 or 10
degrees below the Perseid radiant.

2) It has a wavy path inconsistent with a meteor, but present in all the
aircraft trails we record regularly here.

3) Look beyond the bright "end" and there is clearly a fainter red trail
significantly displaced from the overall path.

The aircraft was probably going from right to left with the landing lights
either switched on at the bright section, or directed towards the camera
in a turn.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au