[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Some Perseid photos

Hi All,

I completely agree with Robert.
It certainly is an interesting picture but surely not a meteor.
Nevertheless a beginning meteorphotographer could think so.

Members of the Dutch Meteor Society have taken many hunderds of
meteorphoto's and there is not a single one which is not straight.
Of course there are many strange pictures among them but one aspect they
all have in common: straight. But remind: on fish-eye lenses meteors are
curved like circles, but again not like this one which is irregular.

I presume this one is from an aircraft as Robert points out.

At 15:27 21-08-1999 +1000, you wrote:
>Having looked at the image
>
>http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg
>
>I'm pretty sure it is not a meteor but an aircraft.
>
>1) Without having done any astrometry, the path looks to pass some 5 or 10
>degrees below the Perseid radiant.
>
>2) It has a wavy path inconsistent with a meteor, but present in all the
>aircraft trails we record regularly here.
>
>3) Look beyond the bright "end" and there is clearly a fainter red trail
>significantly displaced from the overall path.
>
>The aircraft was probably going from right to left with the landing lights
>either switched on at the bright section, or directed towards the camera
>in a turn.
>
>Robert H. McNaught
>rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au
>
>On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, James Wray wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob an All
>>
>> Just to keep things going here, I am kind of thinking that if the waviness
>> effect in the meteor image was due to atmosphere, then the stars would have
>> to share in the same or greater degree of turbulent motion.  This effect is
>> certainly there in general, and is the actual cause of astronomical
>> "seeing", or fuzzing out of star images.  Usually astronomical seeing image
>> displacements are less than say a few arc seconds, which at the scale of
>> the meteor image would appear to be much less than the waves in the meteor
>> trace.  I'm still inclined to put the motion in the meteor trajectory
>> itself.  I think there was a visual multiple witness fireball/meteorite
>> over Poland (was it Pultusk?? someone might set me straght on this-) many
>> years ago that was observed to make a 180 degree change in direction along
>> its entry trajctory.  I think transverse forces can act on meteorids in
>> some instances, and this may be an interesting example.  Just wanting to
>> keep the possibility open there. :)
>>
>> All  Best Wishes
>>
>> Jim Wray
>>
>> -----------------------------
>>

>> At 11:37 AM 8/20/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> >Kevin,
>> >
>> >That faint continuation is probably real. It appears that a fragment
>> >survived the terminal burst and that is what you see as the faint line.
>> >
>> >As for the waviness, this was probably caused by a turbulent atmosphere.
>> >
>> >Interesting picture. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
>> >
>> >Bob

>> showing
>> everyone
>camera
>haven't

>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg">http://www.c

>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6detail.jpg">http:/

>HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids50mm1.4.jpg">http:/

>> Chews
>> http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html
>>

>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
> [...]

Casper ter Kuile, Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)
Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Tel. +(31)-30-2203170, Fax. +(31)-30-2202695
GSM-BEN: +(31)-6-24242445, GSM-KPN: +(31)-6-53270844
E-mail_1: pegasoft@accu.uudot nl
E-mail_2: dms-web@wxsdot nl
DMS website: http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/index.html