[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseid & Leonid clouds

At 12:49 21-08-1999 +0200, you wrote:
>Op Sat, 21 Aug 1999, exceld77 schreef:
>
>> Several hours before the great Leonid storm, people saw a faint glow in the
>> constellation of Leo. This was the light being scattered from the meteoroid
>> cloud which later produced the storm.  Several days ago I read about a
>> similar cloud seen before the Perseid outburst of 1992 ( the text actually
>> say that the cloud was quite bright, between +3 and +4 magnitude!!).
>
>Actually, this has been the Perseid outburst of 1993, not 1992, and I was
>one of the persons who observed it.

Hi Jure, Rob, Malcolm and others on the list:

More detailed information including a map of the position where we observed
the glow is now at:

http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/perseids/1993/per93.html

This report has been prepared for the proceedings of the IMC '93,
Puimichel, France but the report on the DMS-website is more detailed and
discussion the glow in detail.

Casper.

>That observation is still very contentious. All that I can say, is that
>we (Casper ter Kuile, Koen Miskotte, Robert Haas and me) definitely noted a
>elongated glow, not unsimilar in appearance
>to a slightly more elongated and slightly brighter version of the
>'gegenschein', for about 10 minutes or so, just east of Algol in Perseus.
>We observed it from our temporary observing location at Rognes in Southern
>France; at the same time, Dutch meteorologist Jacob Kuiper noted a
>similar phenomenon in Perseus from the Vosges Mountains in France, 500
>km to the north.
>
>I do not know what it has been; it might have been the 'meteoroid cloud'
>it might have been something else. Jacob Kuiper and we have been able to
>reject a large suite of normal meteorological and atmospherical
>phenomenon on good grounds (see our 1993 WGN report), so we favoured the
>'meteoroid cloud'. Criticism has been that theoretically, such a glow
>should have been in a different part of the sky. But then, that's theory.
>We noted it in Perseus. That's all I can say, and our team still has some
>bitter memories about some of the criticism leveld at us at the time -I
>again repeat that we definitely DID observe something.
>
>- Marco Langbroek
>  Dutch Meteor Society
>
>Postscript; part of the doubts leveled arose from the mistaken idea that
>we reported 'our' glow at a similar sky location as given by Joe Rao in a
>paper before the Perseid event, in which he by mistake had given a wrong
>position. However, our location of the 'glow' we noted was some 20
>degrees different, east of Algol and not many degrees south. We did NOT
>report it at the erratic S&T position, contrary to the opinion of some.
>

>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html

Casper ter Kuile, Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)
Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Tel. +(31)-30-2203170, Fax. +(31)-30-2202695
GSM-BEN: +(31)-6-24242445, GSM-KPN: +(31)-6-53270844
E-mail_1: pegasoft@accu.uudot nl
E-mail_2: dms-web@wxsdot nl
DMS website: http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/index.html