[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Leonid cloud observed in 1998 (Re (meteorobs): Perseid & Leonid clouds)

Hi all,

An interresting fact; the mentioned 'Leonid cloud' has been "observed"
recently during the 1998 Leonids. During the April DMS 20th anniversary
meeting, Peter Jenniskens (NASA/Ames) lectured on the 1998 MACSIT results
and told us that a Japanese team had detected the glow with high tech
equipment -either CCD or intensified video if I remember correctly.

The glow was too faint to detect visually, or for that mather directly in the
Japanese imagery; but they made a detailed cross scan of their pictures
and graphically represented the sky background brightness over the
picture. This showed that there indeed was a somewhat brighter background
in a part of the picture corresponding to the theoretical position of the
'meteoroid cloud'. Thus, it appears the 'meteoroid glow' was indeed
detected last year. A good incentive to try next Leonids!
Since I all have to recall this from memory, I do not have any further
exact details, nor where they (plan to) publish it - perhaps Peter can
provide these?

- Marco Langbroek (Dutch Meteor Society)