[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Some Perseid photos

At 02:30 PM 8/21/99 -0500, Elton wrote:

>Bulbs do do go out in flight,  rare but malfunctions occur.  Military
flights, especially Tankers, turn off strobes from time to time.  I add
this so as not to exclude the aircraft theory on the absense of an
illuminated nav beacon.

Very true, but considering the picture:

-An aircraft in a phase of flight that includes turning on its landing
lights, typically operating in a terminal environment, would also be
operating every other anti-collision lighting system on board.

-An aircraft operating in IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) will
typically turn off its strobe or other flashing light system to prevent
disorientation of the pilot... if this were an aircraft, it's clearly not
flying in the soup though.

I guess the basic question I would have is: "Did the guy that took the
picture actually see the object that created that image on the film?"  Has
anyone asked?  I'll e-mail him if not.

JB

Follow-Ups: References: