[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Bolides -- time for a definition

Let's flog this horse, living or dead!

     While professionally I have no room to add anything substantive to
the "bolide definition" thread, my impressions of what a bolide are
(from my reading in various sources) jibes exactly with what Elton
wrote.  However, the point I want to make is this..dot since the term is so
often used, I suggest the meteor professionals world wide --yes, I'm
talking about many of YOU -- get it together and decide on the meaning.
Phrases like "fragmenting meteor" and "terminal burst" may be more
specific when describing individual meteors for the time being, but if
terms like "bolide" are (and will be) brandied
about so often, it would be good to know what said terms actually
mean.   I really see no reason why meteor astronomers can't take a
little time and come to a consensus on this...clarity is just too
important in science, no?
         Kim Youmans