[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FW:Re: (meteorobs) METEORS VS FIREBALLS/BOLIDES

Hellow all

I did not mean to start such a debate over "bolides" and "fireballs."
However, here we are.  In American astronomy we refer to "bolides" as those
objects which terminate in disintegration (not necessarilly explosive,
though that seems to be the accepted meaning).  The English language
maintains a distinction between the two.  It exists in a vague way in
French.  There is no such distinction in Spanish, German, Russian, Hebrew,
Arabic and probably not in Swahili (a joke, OK?).

As far as I know there has never been a ruling from the IAU (honestly, I've
never investigated the issue) on the term and various "authorities" handle
the distinction in various ways.  Personally, I have always treated the
term essentially as it is understood in English but with due attention paid
to the nebulous character of the word round the world.

My advice to you, Ron, is that if you see a bolide or a fireball that does
not seem to be moving, just getting brighter, jump in the fastest vehicle
you have at your disposal and head straight for it.  The reason is that the
heaviest, largest pieces of ejecta will be traveling in the opposite
direction.  The material that spreads out around an impact in a more
uniform manner is usually considerably smaller (no guarantee).  Immediately
after the impact head for the nearest telephone and call me, then do
whatever you want.

J. Richard Jacobs