[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Leonid cloud observed in 1998 (Re (meteorobs): Perseid & Leonid clouds)

A comment on this one: This result was presented also at the EGS 1998 in
Den Haag by Peter. He brought the measurements with him. Unfortunately the
graphs were not extremely convincing. There were a few small bumps in the
plotted background magnitude, one of them conincided with the expected
place of the glow. I think it would be very exciting if more people tried
to image this. If there are several independant observations of the glow,
only then we have good reason to assume that it is really visible.

We will try to record it during our Leonid campaign, using a Photometrics
CCD camera with a wide-angle lens. Accurate calibration (dark current and
flat field correction) is in my opinion necessary to record the small bump
in the background sky, also choose a site with really dark sky. I would
also think that taking several images during different times and then
looking at the difference helps.

Bye, Detlef.