[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dutch object 'Weert' not iron meteorite (alas)

Dear Alan, dear Rob, dear Others,

I just informally received word from Charles Arps (Dutch Natural History
Museum) that the Weert object from 22 July is NOT an iron meteorite -it
contains no Ni.

So no new Dutch meteorite, alas.... While slightly disappointed, this
does not come as a complete surprise, as the shape of the object was odd
indeed and reason for some doubts in my mind clingin on.

The object remains an enigma. Given the force with which it smashed
through the steel plated roof, and given it's outlook with something that
closely resembles a 'fusion crust' (it certainly is not like a corrosion
layer), it would not surprise me if it actually is a piece of a
satellite, even though according to Alan no satellite dacays were
expected over the area that day.

Perhaps the chemical data can shed some more light; I'll contact Dr.
Lindner later this week for more details.

Regards,

- Marco Langbroek
  Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)