[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) HTML?

At 12:11 PM 1999-08-23 -0700, you wrote:
>what is so bad about HTML? I'm trying to find out!

Some html codes have a bad habit of fouling up ordinary ASCII-based e-mail
programs. For example, certain html font codes can cause e-mail programs to
shift immediately into that font but not switch out when the message has
been deleted. This happens to my own Eudora program all the time. In
addition, the erratic and color fonts are just plain distracting in e-mail
postings, usually looking no better than the ordinary text version of the
posting itself and often making the html post larger than ordinary text. I
believe there are other problems that html causes at some servers that do
the actual remailing of posting, too. So it's best not to use html for any
e-mail at all; that way, you can be certain that your posting will always
be completely compatible with all e-mailers.

SteveH