[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: Horizon Perseid Meteors

    Asaf's question on horizon meteors prompts me to ask a nagging
question concerning the not-so-recent threads on angular velocities, a
point which I must have missed in the discussion, namely, what happens
to the apparent (perceived) velocities of fast (or any) meteors like the
Perseids as they come down to the horizon.  Do they appear to slow down,
and if so, by how much as they approach the horizon?
    I had one or two "horizon" meteors during the recent shower that
lined up with the radiant (as best as I could tell, as the distance from
horizon to radiant was quite large)
but they appeared to be medium speed.  Assigning them thus became
problematic...as I recall, I listed them as PERs.
                                     Outbursts, Kim S. Youmans