[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) back from Bulgaria

Hello Ron,

sorry for answering your mail so late, but I've been back from my Perseid
vacation only recently.

>         I've just checked out the IMO website for METSIM.  It is listed as
> software but all I have found in the directory is the 2 KB readme file
> listed and the only other hyper-text is 'up to a higher level
> directory'.

This is a complete mystery to me: How can a file just disappear from our ftp
server? Anyway, I have uploaded it again, so it should be there now (unless it
removed itself again :-).

As for the last two weeks: A team of 10 German meteor observers (RENJU, RENIN,
ARLRA, KNOAN, me, and five others) spend the time from August 7 to 16 at
Kamen Bryag, a small village at the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria. The camp was
very well organized by the Bulgarian meteor observers and united meteor
watchers from Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Russia, the Netherlands, Belgium, ...
I do not want to give a complete report here, but just give a few impressions
from this very nice vacation. We witnessed a breathtaking total solar eclipse
(as described by Daniel Fischer earlier) and could observe in 7.5 out of 9
nights. Until the Perseid maximum we always had clear night skies with only
occasional haze near the horizon. The milky way was a splendid sight, but
Perseid activity was quite disappointing. Just at the night of the expected
pre-maximum (August 12/13) clouds moved in and the lightening of a distant
thunderstorm gave impressive sights. Fortunately, the sky cleared up later
that night, so we could still observe more that three hours around the
predicted peak time. The rates were clearly enhanced, but not to compare with
last year's Leonid maximum.
The following night (August 13/14) was completely overcasted, and our last two
nights in Bulgaria were clear again. Fortunately there was still some Perseid
activity left, so almost nobody of us fell asleep. :-)
All in all I collected a more than 40 hours effective observing time in
these days, each night recording between 100 and 200 meteors under very good
skies. My video camera was operated in all but the two cloudy nights. It will
still take me some time to process those 47 hours of night sky recording...

Cheers, Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *