[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio detection (short)

Radio detection has generated a lot of mail on this list and I don't
wish to clutter up your mail boxes.  I'll be back in the classroom this
week and won't be able to spend as much time on the subject.  Here is a
brief summary of why I think amateur radio detection methods should be
pursued.

	1) it is less sensitive to meteorlogical conditions - antenna icing &
thunderstorms may be a problem

	2) continuous (24 hr / day) monitoring may be possible

	3) remote (solar / wind powered) sites may be set up in isolated
regions where visual observing may not be possible (Sable Island for
example), data collection may be via radio (meteor scatter) links

	4) a standard system design and method of data collection may be
established and maintained over a long period of time. (not subject to
changes in radiation patterns, power, and frequency that commercial &
gov't broadcoasters undergo)

	I don't know if this should be carried any further.  I'm especially
grateful for the feedback of those who have been there and done that.
Should I pursue this any further I hope to gain from your experience and
advice.

					Ron (in Gander)
--
R & L Thompson, 9 Medcalf St., Gander, NF, Canada A1V 1R9
Tel (709) 256-1179, Fax (709) 256-8638, e-mail rlthompson@thezonedot net

Amateur Radio Station call VO1AV, FP5EK, VE1KM   Grid Square GN28qw
Location 48 57'08" N  054 36'43" W,
Local time UTC - 2.5 hrs Summer, UTC - 3.5 hrs Winter