[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) McNaught's 15 secs of fame!

Just a quick note while I'm observing on the 1.0-m doing asteroid
astrometry.  I took time out to watch the program and thought it was
very well done.  Duncan Steel was both elequent and forceful in making the
points.  The other two were Paul Chodas from JPL and Louis Friedman from
The Planetary Society.  15 seconds?  I doubt I was on for that long!

Regarding the Wu and Willians Leonid paper.  When my observing run is
over, I'll refer to it again, but at the time, I commented to my then
boss, Duncan Steel, that the work was very poorly verified.  This was
about 4 years ago.  Peter Brown's work was, as far as I can remember, an
attempt to examine the whole Leonid activity, not just the storm peaks.
In doing this, I believe he lost the temporal and spatial resolution
required to identify narrow dust trails.  Again, I'd have to go back and
look at the work in detail.

Cheers, Rob
PS Periodic comet Machholz 2 (fragment a) still looks like an asteroid.  I
wonder if it will develop a coma nearer perihelion?

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au