[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Alpha Aurigids

Despite the moonlight I plan to watch for Alpha Aurigid activity on
Wednesday and Thursday mornings September 1 and 2. According to the IMO
the time of maximum activity will occur at 11:36 Universal Time on
September 1. The time of the 1994 AUR outburst coincides with 14:34
Universal Time also on the 1st which unfortunately is after sunrise from
my location.

On the 1st the moon will be 66% illuminated and located near the point
where the constellations of Taurus, Aries, and Cetus meet. I will need
to face toward the north, with the radiant in the right portion of my
field of view, in order to keep the direct moonlight from reaching my
eyes.

Alpha Aurigid rates have been low since the 94 outburst. On this date in
1995 I counted only 7 AUR's with an effective observing time of 5.35
hours. The average limiting magnitude was 6.19. In 1997, 8 AUR's were
counted with an effective observing time of 3.73 hours. The average
limiting magnitude was 6.05. No observations were obtained in 1996 or
1998.

If your skies are clear and your work schedule allows, you may want to
consider giving the Alpha Aurigids a peek.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford