[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseid Meteors with HandyCam

In a message dated 9/1/99 12:01:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chiayk@singnet.com.sg writes:

<< yKChia >>
Hello, yKChia and all:

     This is a very interesting list, glad I signed on.  Is your Watec video
cam a normal consumer type of camera or a little surveillance type.  The
reason I ask is that I have a little Topica surveillance camera which I use
for occultations and also with telescopes.  I am set up to observe in the
field, within extension cord distance from my car, feeding from the
camera/scope to a VCR and using a 10" b&w TV as a monitor.  The camera has
audio and a S-W radio puts WWV time signals over the tape.  Works great.  I
can get 11 mag stars on a 12" newtonian.  Then, using a frame grabber, I pull
stills from the video tapes onto the computer, where I can enhance and diddle
with the pictures using Photoshop.

     I have a "baby moon" hubcap (remember them, on VWs?), about 12" in
diameter upon which I have put 30 coats of Turtle wax.  Placed on the ground
under and a little bit to one side of a camera tripod, I can get nice all-sky
pixs using a 35-mm camera and 50 mm lens (because the hubcap is a mirror the
f number is the same as the fast 50 - f1.4, not slower as with even the bast
wide-angle lenses).

     Now to my question, has anybody used a security camera like this?

     Clear skies,
     Bob Young