[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aug 31/Sept 1 Meteor Observations From California

Many thanks to Malcolm for answering this. I personally keep track of
"suspected" radiants. The AMS has a radiant catalog where members
submitted their plots and any possible radiants were assigned a radiant
number. Perhaps we should bring this to the forefront and and update it
with current observations and have it available on the AMS web site.

By the way this reminds me that during watches for the Alpha Triangulids
I also have noticed activity coming from Taurus. Perhaps folks should
center their field of view between the two radiants in an area where
Jupiter and Saturn now reside.

Bob

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Sounds like a beautiful night observing, Bob - thanks for the report!
>
> BTW, your comment about the possible radiant in Taurus leads me to a
> question: Is there a central database of "radiants to be watched for"
> anywhere in the IMO - or regional meteor group - archives? Obviously,
> if this radiant produces SIGNIFICANT activity any time in the future,
> it will be picked up in other observers' data, independent of any
> special "watch" for that radiant. But for a radiant which might only
> show very marginal activity above the sporadic background, your signal
> to "watch" the radiant, coupled with similar signals from other very
> experieneced observers, might actually lead to a discovery which may
> otherwise not be made! Just curious...
>
> Clear skies,
> Lew

Follow-Ups: References: