[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Archive of new or suspected radiants

Hi Bob & Malcolm,

> What Bob suggests sounds an interesting and worthwhile project.
> Combining the various sources and modern data should identify some real
> showers.

I fully agree, that a list of suspected minor showers would be worthwile.

Personally I would be very interested in such a compilation. As you know,
I've been running my video camera autonomously for several month now. The
system records a lot of meteor with relatively high precision, so it is
very well suited for the detailled analysis of minor or suspected minor
showers. However, so far MetRec only recognizes the well-established
showers from IMO's visual working list. All others are classified as
sporadic, and it requires a lot of extra work to align them with suspected
new showers. If, however, I know their position in advance, MetRec could
check for them like for all other showers. All I need is the suspected
position, geocentric velocity, and time of activity (as good as these
values are known).

BTW, August was quite a sucessful months. I recorded more than 1.000
meteors in about 60h effective observing time. Especially the good skies
at our Perseid camp in Bulgaria paid off. Among them are, of course, a
large number of Perseids (about 1/3). However, there are also plenty of
Aquarids, Capricornids, kappa Gygnids, etc... I'll post a more detailled
list soon.

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *