[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) September Perseids (was Archive of new or suspected radiants)

Bob Lunsford wrote:
> Thanks for reminding us of the "September Perseids", sometimes known as
> the Delta Aurigids.

Juergen Rendtel alerted observers at the Violau IMC back in 1990 that
this shower was possible early delta-Aurigids (more generally known in
late September to mid-October).  Then a couple of years later, Juergen
reported more data and the coined name "September Perseids", and I've
been using it since.  The 2000 IMO Shower Calendar includes it as part
of the delta-Aurigids (DAU).  Indeed the quoted maximum (Sept 8) for
the DAUs is that of the September Perseids.  The traditional DAUs peak
a month later.

There is evidence for a number of related radiants in the region
collectively known as the delta-Aurigids.  See, for example,
http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/delta_aurigids.html. So I
suppose we could call next week's shower the September Perseid branch
of the delta-Aurigids.

September is a good time to observe for northern observers.  The nights
are longer; there's less summer haze, but the nights aren't cold.
Sporadic rates are at their annual best.  So I encourage readers to take
a look.  If you can plot, so much the better.  A dark site certainly
helps with the DAUs, as it's rich in faint meteors.  Hence good for
video and telescopic observers. (-:

If any telescopic observer needs charts for next weekend, please
let me know as soon as possible.

> weeks. I hope the weather cooperates for everyone!

A front moving into Hawaii might prevent my observing plans for this
weekend.  Given a choice of two, I'd rather next weekend be clear
so I can see if the alpha-Triangulids are back.

Malcolm