[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Wednesday reentry US West

As described by Lew,

>Thanks for notice of fireball sightings over OR, CA and NV, Joe.
>The Web site you cite was completely unintelligible, but from what
>you indicate in your post, satellite-watchers have pegged these as
>reentries of orbital debris, rather than celestial meteors?

this is a classic reentry.  But not everyone is convinced of that.  Just for
masochism I listened to a couple of hours of blithering nonsense from Peter
Davenport (Natl UFO Reporting Center) and Art Bell during Wed/Thurs night.
Not one caller even suspected a reentry.  The two hosts will never be
convinced either.  Reports of fragments leaving the formation and rejoining,
stopping briefly, and making U-turns were all accepted as legitimate because
the observers were  "credible."  Another great  "mystery"  to jaw about.

One woman caller said she was an amateur astronomer.  But she gave no
astronomical descriptions at all and gave no indication that she really knew
anything about astronomy ; she just said the objects made a shape like a
tadpole.  Most observers saw  "strings of lights" but no colors were
mentioned during the time I was listening.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Asst Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society