[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Wednesday reentry US West

Do I understand that the satellite reentry was September 1, Pacific
Northwest? I missed the orginal report and would appreciate having time
and other details.

I have studied astronomy, UFOs (some reports of which I take seriously),
fireballs, and satellite re-entries. In fact, I used to exchange reports
with the late Dr. Charles P. Olivier of the American Meteor Society. he
would send me reports from such sources as Notice to Mariners annotated
"not meteor," and I would send him reports submitted as UFOs labelled
"not UFO." [Don't worry, list, I have no intention of discussing UFOs
per se here which would be totally inappropriate.]

The public does need education about both fireballs and satellite debris
re-entries. My hypothesis is that the latter are likely to be "messier"
phenomenologically due to their configuration than the typical (or
average) fireball. Often a loose conglomeration of materials of various
sizes and composition from low orbit rather than one solid chunk of
asteroid or space debris. I am interested in comparing descriptions of
the two phenomena. Any comments?

Richard Hall

P.S. I agree with Mr. McLeod about Art Bell & Co. and I don't listen to
them.