[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Wednesday reentry US West

nmcleod@peganet.com writes:

<< Just for masochism I listened to a couple of hours of blithering nonsense
from Peter Davenport (Natl UFO Reporting Center) and Art Bell during
Wed/Thurs night.
Not one caller even suspected a reentry.  The two hosts will never be
convinced either.  Reports of fragments leaving the formation and rejoining,
stopping briefly, and making U-turns were all accepted as legitimate because
the observers were  "credible."  Another great  "mystery"  to jaw about. >>

    I normally do not listen to Art Bell in the overnight hours -- in fact
I've only heard him two or three other times since his show started on WABC
here in New York.  However, I had to work the morning-drive shift at News 12
on Thursday, which meant I had to be on the road to work by 4 a.m.  After
surfing the broadcast airwaves on the car radio, I managed to hear the same
show that Norm commented upon above.  It reminded me of the pseudoscientific
apocalypse mongers who are trying to cause panic as we approach the big 2K.
Art Bell and his retinue seem to view themselves as the lonely proponents of
the truth in a world that perpetually is scheming to discredit them.  A
situation like last Thursday morning, where Bell and Peter Davenport were
attempting to turn a simple satellite reentry into our atmosphere into a kind
of "Close Encounters" episode is a prime example.

    I noticed that for every person who called Bell that morning with a
sighting or to buttress his argument that perhaps the object seen flaring
across the western US skies on Wednesday night was indeed a UFO, part of
Bell's response was a kind of low-keyed laugh -- almost sinister sounding.

    It is unfortunate that we have somebody like this heard nightly on the
broadcast airwaves across the country.  The fact that his, is the #1 radio
show in the Greater New York Area during overnight hours only bears out what
I have been saying for years:  "Never underestimate the stupidity of the
general public."

-- joe rao