[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Wednesday reentry US West

In a message dated 9/4/99 2:32:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, brnt@erols.com
writes:

<< That's a very cynical attitude toward the public. So take some time to
 help educate them.  >>

I've been doing just this for 13 years (as a lecturer and staff instructor at
the American Museum-Hayden Planetarium).  Unfortunately, there are those in
the media who are fully aware of the lack of science understanding of the
general public and take full advantage of them.

RE: "Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public."

    During the 1997 Leonid shower, there were sightings of a few brilliant
fireballs, one of which caught the imagination and attention of the New York
news media.  The following day, several local t.v. stations were publicizing
the apparent fall of meteorites in the town of Eastchester, New York.  At
News 12 we sent a camera crew and reporter to cover the story.  The reporter
actually returned to the t.v. station with "meteorite samples" -- which we
later proved were nothing but common Earth rocks.  One of the people who was
interviewed on camera said that he " . . . actually saw several meteors hit
the ground.  One actually dented a nearby car."  On the air I pointed out
that were these legitimate meteorites, that -- likely traveling at a speed of
15-30 miles per second -- they would have done more than just dent a car!  (I
also put forward a "theory" that perhaps somebody was tossing rocks down from
the top of some nearby apartment buildings).

    But despite all of this, when the reporter went back to Eastchester the
next day, the people who were interviewed refused to believe any of it.  "We
know what we saw," said one.  And another noted, "we think our story is still
rock solid."

Amazing!
-- joe rao