[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting: Three Stooges Method

Kim & All,

No one said plotting was easy! This is why we suggest that newbies wait
until they have spent considerable time under the sky learning the
constellations before attempting to plot.

The most important thing to do is to get the plot drawn on to the chart
as soon as possible. Don't worry about time or any other parameter. Get
the meteor drawn ASAP! I have my clipboard lying on my lap so it can be
grabbed at a moments notice. A pencil and transparent plastic ruler are
also attached to the clipboard. I also have a two foot long (61 cm) dark
cord with loops knotted in both ends lying across my chest. I have a
small and very light Mag-Lite tied to a string around my neck so I won't
lose it in the dark.

The moment I see a meteor I grab the dark cord and line it up with the
meteors path. I look for two recognizable stars that line up with the
path so that I can use them as guides on the chart. This usually takes
10-20 seconds depending on the area of the sky. Note that I have not
taken
my eyes off the sky so no time has been lost so far.

Once I have this memorized I reach for the flashlight and place it in my
mouth. That third hand helps immensely! I then reach for the clipboard
with my right hand and hit the button on my talking clock with my left
hand. Now that I know the time I remove the pencil and ruler from the
clipboard line the ruler up with the same path on the chart. The tricky
part is getting the correct length but after practice one becomes
proficient.

This usually takes 15 seconds after which I enter the magnitude and
other
data on a separate data sheet. My eyes are off the sky for approximately
30
seconds. This is the most likely time that the -7 fireball will appear
:)

I know that this sounds like a pain but it becomes second nature after a
few sessions.

As for finding radiants on the Brno charts, any star atlas or
planetarium
program can show you the exact area of the sky. Simply find this area
using
and celestial coordinates and then make some kind of mark on your chart
indicate the radiants position. It is a good idea to do this before the
observing session so that you can classify any meteors that appear too
far
from the center of your field of view. If they are too far away for an
accurate plot you can still use the cord to get an estimate of the path
and
an idea whether the meteor belonged to any shower.

As for the original 11" X 17" Brno charts, a line 2.8 mm represents one
degree at the center of the each chart. Mine are reduced to 77% of the
original size for more convenience in the field. This reduction yields
2.2
mm per degree at the center of the chart. Naturally on gnomic charts
lengths
will increase as you move away from the center of the chart. Here are
some
more lengths for areas further from the center for the original 11 X 17
charts:

50mm  = 3.1 degrees/mm
100mm = 3.9 degrees/mm
120mm = 4.4 degrees/mm
150mm = 5.2 degrees/mm
170mm = 5.9 degrees/mm
200mm = 7.1 degrees/mm
220mm = 8.1 degrees/mm

The charts in the handbook appear to have been reduced to 2/3's the size
of
the original so the figures above would need to be multiplied by 0.67 to
match the charts in the handbook. This gives the following results:

0mm   = 1.9 degrees/mm
50mm  = 2.1 degrees/mm
100mm = 2.6 degrees/mm
120mm = 2.9 degrees/mm
150mm = 3.5 degrees/mm
170mm = 4.0 degrees/mm
200mm = 4.8 degrees/mm
220mm = 5.4 degrees/mm

Finally, for me a 12" ruler held at arms length would represent 32
degrees.
How did I come up with this? I looked in an star atlas for two bright
stars
precisely 10 degrees apart. Once I found them I took a 6mm thick
aluminum
rod and cut it until both stars appeared on each end of the rod. The rod
ended up being 96mm long which is 3.78 inches. It's seems that my hand
and
arm length is a little smaller than Greg's.

Altair and Deneb are approximately 35 degrees apart so it seems that Kim
and I have similar hand size and arm length.

The current Piscid radiant lies at 354 (23:36) -7.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford