[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Plotting: Three Stooges Method

     I'll wait, Joe, and see if the issue of S&T is still on the
newstands this weekend, else I will get back in touch for the details,
sounds interesting.
     In my attempts to cut out Larry and Moe, I have revised my approach
as follows, taking clues from many of you.....
     A:   I now have my small flashlight on a cord to hang from my
neck.  No more ants!
     B.   I have measured out  fist-sized increments (temporarily) on a
length of cord, using knots.  Fortunately, my hand-held recorder has a
small length of carry strap:  I tied my cord to this, so now my cord is
attached to my recorder.
     C.   I ditched the digital watch with luminous dial that I had
glued to my recorder.  I had lost the instructions on how to set the
darn thing, anyway, and it was cheap.  Today I bought a talking clock
from Radio Shack ($15.99) and it too is currently attached to my tape
recorder.  Its proximity to the mic means the time will be recorded when
I push any one of six buttons on the face --I don't have to fumble for a
light button, I can just hit any button and I have the time recorded.
          So now when a meteor appears I can just hold up my recorder,
pull out the cord for placement, hit any clock  button for time, after
hitting the pause button, which I find instinctively now.  I shouldn't
have to take my eyes off the sky until I'm ready to chart the meteor.
    D.   My pencil and ruler are now tied to my clipboard.

As soon as the sky clears, I'll find out how well it works....Kim S.
Youmans

Talbert, Joe wrote:

> Sept(i think)  Sky and Telescope had an interesting project for
> measuring degrees in the sky. The metric is develpoed u sing a yard
> stick (36inches) nailed to the end of a length of board then pulled
> back into an arc of prescribed radius, each inch mark equals an
> increment of arc. I'm writing this from memory if you wish I'll get
> the recipe.
>
> Joe Talbert

Follow-Ups: References: