[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Angular Distance (was Re: (meteorobs) Plotting: Three Stooges Method)

>>>I know the rule of thumb about fist size being 10 degrees
>
>HMMMMmmm... I thought I heard FIVE degrees??? Lew, wasn't it
>YOU who told me that last year??

Not me, Steve! :) Seriously, 10o-per-fist has been my standard
for angular distances since I was a mere tyke-o-twelve. Maybe I
gave you some other "yardstick" for 5 degrees of arc - the head
of Aquila, the distance between Rasalhague and Rasalgethi, or
maybe the "open end" of the bowl of the Little Dipper?? I also
use "one finger per 2 degrees" to approximate if I'm in a hurry!

BTW, I agree that there is SOME variation from person to person
on the "fist rule": however, you only need a few yardsticks like
those above to "calibrate" this rule for your own arm and hand!

And the variation is less than you might think: strangely, the
length of a person's arm seems pretty well correlated with the
size of their fist. (No off-color comment on this one please!)

Here are some rough yardsticks, along with their angular sizes:

2 degrees
=========
"Short ends" of the parallelogram in Lyra
Long leg (Zeta and Gamma) of the "Y" in Aquarius
Beta and Gamma Arietis (the "fainter two")

4 degrees
=========
"Eyes" of Draco
"Long ends" of the parallelogram in Lyra
Hamal (Alpha) and Beta Arietis

5 degrees
=========
Western "edge" of the "W" in Cassiopeia
(See list above for other 5o yardsticks!)

7 degrees
=========
Northern "Arm" (Beta and Gamma) in Libra
Eastern "Wing" (Delta and Eta) in Aquila
"Baseline" (Delta and Alpha) in Cassiopeia

10 degrees
==========
Alpha and Beta Aquarii
"Open end" (Alpha and Delta) in the Bowl of the Big Dipper
"Tail" (Delta and Beta) in Leo

15 degrees
==========
Southern "horn" (Aldebaran and Zeta) in Taurus
Polaris to the bottom of the bowl (Eta) in the Little Dipper

20 degrees
Diagonal of the "Great Square" in Pegasus
"Horn and snout" (Beta and Gamma) in Taurus

30 degrees
"Snout to snout" (Phi and Iota) in Pisces
Alpha Ursae Majoris and Alpha (Polaris) Ursae Minoris

Would other folks care to share their own "handy yardsticks"? :)

Clear skies all!
Lew