[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Atmosphere interference?

At 06:14 AM 1999-09-08 -0300, Michael Boschat wrote:
>Hello;
>
> Just wondering if any radio observers are having problems detecting
>meteors?

>It is
>almost like am ocean wave but much slower. I wanted to try the Aries-
>Triangulids this weekend but it does not sound promising. Looking at my
>logbook the interference started about Aug.26. Last year at this time I
>had no problems with interference.

Yes, there has been a considerable amount of tropospheric ducting into the
northeastern Canadian provinces over the past two or three weeks; but never
fear, those excellent conditions are about to end and the meteors will
again reign!

>We tested the cavity filter and it was off about 300 Hertz and we then
>corrected to the frequency I monitor with a specturm analyizer.

You may mean 300 kHz. I'd be somewhat surprised if you could detect any
difference if the filter was mistuned by as much as 3 dB which is probably
around 300 kHz for a very-high-Q single cavity filter at 83 MHz.

> I am going to guess it is probally atmospherics and solar activity?

Right.

>Below is what I use;
>
>Location: Halifax, Canada (63 36'W, 44 39'N, 58 meters above sea level)
>Listening Frequency: 83.25 MHz

So you were monitoring TV channel 6; I don't know which station you could
have been hearing but it was probably somewhere in New England as we've had
outstanding tropo conditions up your way beginning about a month ago up
through last weekend. But it's dissipated now and probably won't return
again; at least, not this good.