[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) call for observers

Chris,

Amongst an interesting post on time-stamping and multiple observations
you wrote:

> "Where's the best place to look?" Sure, we all believe that the zenith is the
> best spot, but do we have any data to prove it?

*I* for one don't believe it's the zenith.  A study by Keith Hindley
in the mid-70s came up with peak of meteors seen around 50-60 degrees
elevation.  The oft-quoted position was 50 degrees elevation, 40 degrees
from the radiant.  I always used to look at Polaris elevation (52 degrees)
unless there was lots of haze lower down, in which case I would go up
to 70 degrees.

In the zenith you're looking through the least atmosphere.  Lower down
it's the opposite, but now you're battling atmospheric extinction.
Somewhere between there is an optimal region.  Of course, to find the
optimal elevation needs to integrate over the field of view, allowing
for the changing perception with distance from the field centre.  I
would have though that centering on the region having most meteors
would be pretty close.

Given a typical field of view of 100 degrees, I would think 50-60
degrees elevation would be fine.  Including the horizon, does let you
view distant fireballs.  Having different observer positions for a
shower worried me for a long time that this affected rates.  I guess
you need lots of observers to average out these variations.

It sounds like the kind of experiment the Czechoslovakians might have
done in the 50s or 60s, or Millman with the multiple observer coffins
and central recorder.  Have you done any literature searches?
It'll be interesting to see the outcome regardless.

Will you draw lots to see who gets the low elevations?  I would think
that you'd need to shuffle people around to avoid biases from personal
equations.

The distance from the radiant will probably be dependent on the
stream's heliocentric velocity, so repeating for a slower shower
like the Geminids will be needed.

Hope you find a team of observers.

Malcolm