[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Information please

Dear Meteorobs Members:

We are in need of a computer software program (or something) that can give us
the location of constellations and planets at a given time for our longitude
and latitude.  The light pollution is great here.  However it is possible to
see bright meteors from our back yard.  Our problem is that we can only see
bright stars and bright planets.  The books and star charts are OK for clear
nights but a print out of the location of planets and also bright stars for a
given time and day would help us beginners to find radiants when the excess
light mixes with smog and coastal haze.

We have an inexpensive software program that does exactly what we need, but
the 5 different computers we have tried it on (neighbors and our computer)
shows that it is a poorly made item that freezes up any computer after a few
minutes.  Do you know of a moderately priced device or computer software
program that would help us when only the brightest celestial bodies are
visible, especially regarding the planets?

Driving out to Joshua Tree National Park, Cottonwood Camp Ground is only a
dream at this point so we truly need some assistance finding out exactly what
we are looking at.  We would appreciate any suggestions.

Not especially clear skies here,
Mrs. Webb, Elisa, and RJ
Anaheim, CA USA