[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Information please

----- Original Message -----
From: <Beboutwebb@aol.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 3:06 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Information please

> Dear Meteorobs Members:
>
> We are in need of a computer software program (or something) that can give
us
> the location of constellations and planets at a given time for our
longitude
> and latitude.  The light pollution is great here.

Mrs. Webb:

I use TheSky, from Software Bisque, and like it a lot.  Among other things,
it allows the user to set the faintest objects shown to match the actual
light polluted sky.  However, it has a lot of features that you may not
need, and is pricey at about $250.  The Mac version is considerably less
expensive if that's the type of computer you use.

Yahoo lists a number of sources for astronomical software.  Click on
"Astronomy" then on "Software."  Perhaps you will find some of those listed
to be suitable (if not, on that same Yahoo page, click on "commercial" for
more listings).

Consider calling John Mosely at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.  He
has done a number of astronomical software reviews, and is quite
knowledgeable.  He may be able to suggest something.

Good luck!

Dave Hostetter
Curator of the Planetarium
Lafayette (LA) Natural History Museum & Planetarium