[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: possible large meteor sighted in Andover, MN

[NOTE: Karla is not a current subscriber of 'meteorobs'. If you follow up
or reply to her, be sure to MANUALLY place 'lars0547@tc.umndot edu' in the
"CC:" line of your message, or she will not see it.]

Karla, it certainly sounds like you saw a very bright meteor or "fireball".
The larger a particle from space is (and the faster it's moving relative to
the Earth), the brighter it'll be when it burns up in our atmosphere! So a
pebble-size particle may look like a "normal" shooting star, where as one
the size of a basketball may be brighter than anything but the Moon and Sun!

If you can still remember any details about this event - such as how high
up in the sky the meteor first appeared, and how high up it ended, or any
"features" of the event, such as sounds, fragmentation or "sparkling", etc.,
then you should definitely try to fill out a report for what you saw! There
is a worldwide database of such sightings, and you can fill out a form on
the Web to enter your observation right into this database:

    http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>