[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #133

The skywatchers of Stellafane and Springfield VT are understandably
concerned by the upcoming prison construction. They are incredibly well-lit
places. Here in northcentral PA we have unusually dark skies for the
northeast due to a lack of any real population centers. In fact, just the
past week, a stargazers group from the State College area (Penn State
University) held a star party at Cherry Springs State Park. It was very
successful, and I think will lead to even more and bigger events.
A prison near there would almost certainly diminish the usefulness of the
site for skygazing purposes, but...I can tell you that having a nearby
prison is not the death knell for skygazing that you might think it is.

 We do have a large federal prison in this area (McKean FCI). It was built
just a few years back, and has some of the brightest sodium vapor lighting
I've ever seen. But I have been only a few miles from the site on very dark
clear nights doing night sky photography, and have not noticed any serious
degradation of sky viewing. In fact, the lights are only really noticeable
on overcast nights with low ceilings, but who's observing then?

The prison officials we have are very good neighbors, and I would expect the
same in VT. If you approach them with some of the suggestions Dark Sky has
for minimizing light pollution, I think they would be receptive.  Do it
early; before their plans are set in concrete.  Springfield's skies might
yet be salvaged.
terry