[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Meteor question -interference over US???

Hello Observers;

 Please reply private email.

 Question:

 Is there any type of Sporadic E, Tropo effects messing the atmosphere
over the eastern sea board?

 Reason I ask I am getting a very strong picture sync on 83.25 MHz that is
what I use to detect meteors ( Ch.6 TV ) and it is even on the -offset
of 83.24 MHz and steady on +offset at 83.26 MHz.

 I called our Dept.of Communications and they don't know anything but said
there is NO channel 6 here in Halifax, only 3,4,5,7,11,13 on regular
channels and of course our cable.

 I have read and re-read articles on this meteor stuff but they never tend
to say "If you hear this type of noise..dot it's..atmosphere..manmade ,,ect"

 Any info on what I should hear to tell me that there is atmosphere
problems would be nice.
 I can tune to 20 MHz and hear WWV and that is with my receiver still
connected to the cavity filter!!!

Thanks in advance...info on what I use below..

Observer: Michael Boschat
Location: Halifax, Canada (63 36'W, 44 39'N, 58 meters above sea level)
Listening Frequency: 83.25 MHz
Receiver: Icom R-10
Antenna : resonant dipole
Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane, elev 0 deg
Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna & receiver.
Listening Mode: AM

Mike