[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Information of GIA Obs.

The Draconid rates seen by

>... Kazuhiro Osada.
>He says that Giacobinid shower activity has already started in this year.

remind me of observing with Bill Gates in 1973 from the Florida Keys.  Gates
has 4 times my perception for meteors, and he was seeing around 4/hr from
the Pisces Austrinids, of all things.  None of the rest of us were able to
come up with more than 1/hr.  Kazuhiro appears to be in the same league with
Gates, judging by his phenomenal sporadic rates above 20/hr in October with
sky LM not even 6.0.  These observers are capable of seeing things most
mortals have no chance of achieving.

I need to stay inside for October due to a St. Louis encephalitis alert for
this area, borne by mosquitoes. Somebody already got sick from it but is
still alive.  The primary danger period is during and near twilight, so I
could still try a bit of observing from the front yard for Orionids away
from twilight.  This is an annual affair usually lasting a month with some
years worse than others.  We will likely get the East Nile version from New
York City down this way eventually, carried by birds, then mosquitoes bite
the birds.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Asst Visual Program Coordinator