[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) leonids

Hello Arlene,

> last november i went there to watch the leonids and was treated
> with a wonderful 'show'... i personally saw between 20 and 40
> per minute!!

was that a typo or do you really mean per _minute_? That would be far more
than the highest counts we heard so far of.

> and can someone please tell me from what direction the leonids will
> appear this year? is it the same as last year? i think not...last year,
> starting at around 11 pm local time, i saw my first leonids coming from
> the east and almost parallel with the horizon. of course, as the night
> wore on, they rose higher in the sky. from what direction will they
> appear this year? i believe the optimim time is 3 am...on WHICH
> night (which morning?)... i almost missed them last year because
> of the confusion...is it 3 am on the 17th of November this year??

You find detailed information at the IMO website www.imodot net. There are
also a number of links to other websites offering information about the
Leonids.

To keep it short: This year you are at a prime site to observe a possible
outburst of the Leonids. The maximum is predicted between 2 and 3 o'clock
UT (!), i.e. in the morning hours of November 18. You will be able to
see the meteors everywhere in the sky radiant from a point in the
constellation of Leo. Contrary to last year there will be less fireballs.
On the other hand, the number of faint meteors may be up to several times
as high as in '98.

Best wishes, Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *