[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Andromedids Meteor Shower

Lew

Sorry about the delay in replying to your query
about the AND shower reported in my obervations. This shower is the one with
the AND mnemonic in the IMO list which according to the data set imported
into my Guide 7 program has the following parameters.

Radiant of Meteor Shower
Andromedids Annual
IMO (International Meteor Organization) acronym: AND
Activity from 25/09 to 12/11
Maximum date: 03/10
Solar longitude: 190.70
Right Ascension (RA) 20.0 degrees on maximum date
Declination (Dec) 34.0 degrees on maximum date
Daily motion in RA: 0.38 degrees
Daily motion in declination: 0.66 degrees
  (The above motion data reflects the fact that,  during the time
  of activity,  the radiant will usually appear to drift a little.)
Geocentric speed of incoming meteors: 18.2 km/second
Remarks: Very slow

As you can see from the above remarks the maximum was 3rd October and the
speed of the meteors are very slow and the meteors I saw were VERY slow,
much slower than the Taurids that I always thought were slow. Also accoring
to my plots, although they may be of questionable accuracy, I still don't
think I've enough plotting under my belt to be very accurate, they originate
from the area centered on the radiant given above. In fact the originate
within a radiant of about 5 to 7 degrees of the radiant point so I called
them Andromedids. Although if this shower is the Beilids then I suspect that
they are just a curious lining up of sporadics with this radiant. I have not
looked up the radiant information for the Beilids to confirm or deny this.

Cheers

David