[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Does this shower exist?

Last Friday, I found a new comet (as yet unannounced) that seems to be
about 13 months from perihelion.  Currently around the distance of
Jupiter, the comet will have perihelion close to the Earth's orbit.  Sadly
it will be on the far side of the Sun!  The orbit is still very uncertain,
but from the short arc, it appears to be best fitted by a parabola.
However, this doesn't discount the possibility of meteors, and I wondered
if there was any evidence of meteors having been seen roughly around March
19 from a radiant at roughly RA 60 deg Dec -25 deg.  Despite the low
evening elongation, these meteors would be fast.  This would only really
be a southern hemisphere shower, and is basically a daytime shower.

It won't surprise me that the extended orbital arc will give the nodal
distance too far from the Earth's orbit for any meteors, but when the
orbit is published today (?) by the Central Bureau, inevitably someone
will pick up the possibility of meteors.

Cheers, Rob
PS As I'm very tired, I wouldn't trust any details I give here (standard
disclaimer)!

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au

Follow-Ups: References: