[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) REPOST: Observing summary - 6/7 Oct 1999, MA, USA

[Sorry for the long delay in thie report! My pager failed to forward it.]

I got out last night [Oct 6/7] for a well-balanced meal of deep sky observing
and meteor plotting. Venue was Myles Standish State Forest, in rural SE Mass. In
1.01 hours Teff I plotted 12 meteors, while fellow observer Mike Aramini did a
casual count alongside.

My plots are not reduced yet, but there was no sign of the periodic Draconids.
Highlight of the plot session were two simultaneous, parallel meteors - one 4o
longer than the other, and separated by only 4o.

The highlight of the NIGHT and the SEASON however was a -10 bolide at 22:10:45
EDT, traversing the border of Cyg and Lyr in the West!! This was witnessed by
myself, Mike, and deep-sky maven Steve Clougherty. All shared a sense of wonder
and confusion as this sky monster lit the ground.

Speed was slow, probable Spor, 7 fragments noted following a terminal burst,
brightest fragment -1, train 2 secs. Any fellow Northeasterners spot this one? I
am now set for the year, Leonid storm or no Leonid storm. :>

(Among the deepsky goodies also seen that night were Planetary Nebula Pease 1
inside M15, the tiny IC galaxy just 4' NW of M57, and several intriguiing
galactic groups in Pisces!)

Clear skies everyone,
Lew Gramer