[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations Oct 11/12

I was glad to hear you got out again, Kim, and thanks for the report!
Sounds like a worthy night of observing - and yes, I also spend a bit
of time before each session refamiliarizing myself with the sky... I
usually start to find my way around again - checklisting the fainter
constellations, distance yardsticks and comparison "standard" stars -
while I'm settling into the sleeping bag, finding watch and pencils,
arranging my plotting charts, etc.

BTW, you neglected to mention the number of Sporadics you saw! While
these Spors may not seem interesting in and of themselves, they (and
their magnitudes) are an irreplaceable calibration of our numbers for
the showers we count! And it can also be interesting to track these
Sporadic counts as the nightly hours and the Seasons progress - you
begin to see patterns as these counts "mysteriously" rise and fall.

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck for more clear skies this week!

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: