[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) assistance please

Mrs. Webb,
  As one "newbie" (ouch!) to another...
 One thing you could definitely do is the following:  Join Namn! It's free.  Have you been to the NAMN web site at:
http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs/ --?

You could save the pages on how to observe, and study them at your leisure.  You could also do the same thing at the IMO site:
http://www.imodot net/
--concentrating on their observing guide.

   Take advantage of the weekly IRC chats!  You will find helpful, experience folks online who will either know the answer or can find it for you!

   If you will print out a copy of the NAMN Observing Report Form and look over each section, you can see what parameters will be needed for a scientifically useful report.   You can then focus in on those aspects of meteor observing you are not familiar with, referring back to the NAMN observing guide when you are "stumped."  You will, of course, automatically become "organized" as you follow the NAMN report format.

Date** so far, I have not been chastised for using the  MM-DD/DD-YY format.

Time**  you should be (currently) seven hours behind Universal Time in Anaheim., CA.  1:00 AM in CA is 8:00UT.

Location** you need to get your coordinates closer than three miles.  The closer the better!  (e.g. My coordinates should place me with a couple hundred yards of my site and probably much closer.)

IMO Code** this refers to the various charts found at the IMO web site that are used to determine the Limiting Magnitude of your skies.  Try to start out using an area that is rather large, like Draco or Pegasus  -- it's easier on the eyes and not so frustrating.

Observing Period** beginning and end times in UT for each period.  Try to always observe for at least one hr per period.

Magnitude** Yes, that was probably a good estimate.  But it would help to know what a +2 or -1, or a 0, actually looked like.  You will need to familiarize yourself with as many stars and their magnitudes as possible.  You can't depend on bright planets to judge very faint meteors.  I would concentrate learning to judge magnitudes, and speed,  very heavily at first.

If you begin observing and follow the NAMN report parameters, you will be collecting very "shareable" and scientifically useful data.  Concentrate on one or two things at a time until you feel comfortable, then move to the next "unknown."

And if I'm wrong with any of the above advice, I will be thoroughly chastised anon!

Kim Youmans

Beboutwebb@aol.com wrote:

Still a beginner, I wonder if one of you would let me know:

1.  Should the following be just for my own education/journal or should it be
shared with others? Who?
2.  Am I collecting correct information?
3.  How can this data be better organized?
4.  Is there a form for less than an hour observing time?
5. Am I getting closer to what is important for meteor observing?