[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) David Letterman's fireball observation

    As some of you may know, I serve as a staff instructor and guest lecturer
at New York's Hayden Planetarium.  Earlier today, I received a phone call
from Amie Gallagher of the planetarium staff, asking me if I could answer a
question that was phoned-in by, of all people, David Letterman's personal
secretary.

    It turns out, that while he was driving back to his home in Connecticut
on Tuesday night at around 9:45 p.m., he saw a " . . . greenish ball of fire
in the sky" drop straight down in front of him before disappearing.  He
wanted to know what it might have been.  I told the secretary that it was
probably an unusually bright meteor.  I then spent a few minutes chatting
with her, and giving her some URL's of a few web-sites that Dave might want
to check out concerning meteors.  I even told her about next month's
potential big Leonid shower.

    She was so happy and appreciative for getting so much information to pass
along to Dave, that I ended up getting two passes (on their so-called
"Diamond List" no less) to the November 4 taping of "The Late Show."  I'm not
really a big fan of Letterman, so I'm giving the passes to my sister (who
adores him).

Amazing how much a little chunk of cosmic debris can get you!

-- joe rao