[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A few questions....

newtonj@ttc.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 1)  I have not attempted viewing multiple showers (simultaneously)
> yet, If I get out this weekend what would be the best two showers to
> add to the Orionid watch?

I would suggest watching for the Taurid complex (now located on the
Aries-Cetus border) and the Epsilon Geminids. The Taurids (aka Oct.
Arietids) are much slower than either the EGE's or the ORI's and will be
easy to distinguish. The Epsilon Geminids are swift like the Orionids
and have a radiant located some 10 degrees northeast of the Orionids.
The big difference between the ORI's and the EGE's is that the ORI's are
a much stronger shower so I would not expect to see more than 1-2 EGE's
per hour.

> 1a)What type of rates might I expect if I get out for the Orionids
> this weekend?

That depends on how much light pollution is present at your observing
sight. From really dark sites you could see up to 10 per hour. From city
and suburban sites the rates will not exceed 5 per hour.

>      2)I am in the process of writing a request for an excused
> abscence for my son to view and report the Leonids;

>      a)What scientific studies are assisted by the info we gather (for
> IMO, NAMN, NASA & meteorobs)

Off the top of my head our studies help determine the particle density
of space plus the evolution of meteoroid orbits and their relationship
with their parent comet or asteroid. Pretty impressive huh? :)

>           b)Any other good suggestions that I could use to back my
> case that this is not just a fun vacation, but a real life learning
> opportunity, and an opportunity for an educated 5th grader to make a
> real contribution to science...

You might also point out that the Leonid outbursts are a
once-in-a-life-time event as the displays around 2033 are expected to be
much weaker than what we expect this year.

I hope this helps!

Bob