[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Mild Santa Ana?

Joseph Assmus wrote:

>   Will be going out to do some ORI / EGE / NTA / STA observing
> (finally!!) with Bob Lunsford tonight.  Should be crystal clear
> these next couple of nights as a mild Santa Ana is currently forming.
> Should be Fun ;->>>..  reports forthcoming.

Well Joseph and all, there is nothing mild about this Santa Ana. I was
up at the Pine Valley Viewpoint this morning was nearly blown away. I
knew there would be some wind but I figured the hills to the east would
block the worst of it. NOT! I was watching from the bed of my pickup and
honestly thought the truck was going to tip over a couple of times! At
one point I sat up to adjust my sleeping bag and when I looked back my
full sized pillow had blown away. I don't mean just off the cot, it blew
out of the truck and off the cliff some 50 yards away! A search at the
end of the session revealed no trace. It probably beat me back to town
some 50 miles away!

Luckily the forecast for tonight is for a little less wind so we should
be able to survive in one piece.

Stay Tuned,

Bob

P.S. Data to follow.