[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations Oct 17

I got out yesterday to do some observing and wound up with 2.8h teff and 31 meteors. Nothing spectacular except:
two orange-copper coloured VERY slow meteors. They both fragmented. The first was +2.5 magnitude, some 5 degrees long. It fragmented into 3 pieces. The second was 0 magnitude and also fragmented into three pieces with sparks trailing behind them. I plotted both and they intersected at R.A. 1h 40m and Dec +20 degrees.
I know that two meteors are not remotely enough to sound the alarm, but they were so distinctive that they had to be of the same shower. Can anyone help?
Anyway, another weird thing happened. At the beginning of the session (17:20Ut or 19:20 local) I saw a delta shaped formation of... ...UFOs :) Not really. It turend out they were high flying ducks, but it was very fascinating. The whole flock was not more than 1 degree wide, so they were probably very high, possibly 1 to 2 km??? Do ducks fly that high? Or were they really UFOs? :)
I also saw a -3 iridium at 17:45 UT. I finished at 20:55 Ut when I was so cold that I couldn't move my fingers any more.

Clear skies!

Jure A.

P.S. - Bob, you observed meteors in those conditions??? And I complained about observing Leonids at -15 Celsius with 30 km/h winds :)