[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ghostly geese (was Re: (meteorobs) Observations Oct 17)

At 06:14 PM 10/18/99 -0400, it was written:

>>Anyway, another weird thing happened. At the beginning of the session
(17:20Ut
>>or 19:20 local) I saw a delta shaped formation of... ...UFOs :) Not
really. It
>>turend out they were high flying ducks, but it was very fascinating. The
whole
>>flock was not more than 1 degree wide, so they were probably very high,
>>possibly 1 to 2 km??? Do ducks fly that high? Or were they really UFOs? :)

I've seen flights of birds several times while observing in Minnesota and
Wisconsin, just as you describe.  Heights of 10,000 feet are not uncommon,
the highest airplane vs bird contest that I can remember off the top of my
head is a collision between a trumpeter swan and a DC-9 at about 13,000
feet over Minnesota.  I took a glance at the safety reports tonight, and
found a number of reports similar to this:

CLBING THROUGH 9500 FT LOUD EXPLOSION FRONT OF ACFT WITH LOUD WIND NOISE
FROM FRONT. JOLT KNOCK OFF AUTOPLT. HAND FLEW TO 10000 FT AND LEVELOFF.
COULD NOT DETERMINE CAUSE OF EXPLOSION. DIVERTED INTO MSY, NEW ORLEANS.
ASKED FOR EMER EQUIP AT MSY AND HANDLING BY CTLRS. HANDLING NORMAL. TAXIING
IN, TWR ADVISED US THAT THERE WAS A LARGE HOLE ON R SIDE OF RADOME APPROX 2
FT IN DIAMETER. AT GATE FOUND PARTS OF A GOOSE.

Aloha,

JB