[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Oct 19/20 Meteor Observations From California

Although the skies were partly cloudy with cirrus during the day it
cleared during the night and allowed me to again watch the Orionid
display. I had expected an increase in Orionid rates but to my surprise
the Orionid rates were exactly the same as yesterday, identically
matching the counts hour by hour. The display was slightly dimmer but
displayed a normal magnitude profile. Despite being dimmer there was one
-4 Orionid fireball seen low in the south.

After a good showing last night the Epsilon Geminids nearly disappeared
with only one 1 member being seen. In fact the NTA's/OAR's did disappear
as not one was seen tonight. The STA's/OAR's were also seen in lower
numbers. The sporadic activity was enhanced tonight especially during
the last hour.

The wind was quite strong again but less bothersome as I was recording
my data on to tape so there were no charts or clipboards blowing away.
It was interesting to hear the wind whistling in the background as I
replayed the tape this morning.

I hope to be out tomorrow for one last 2 hour session. After that I
must begin my workweek and by the time I have another day off the moon
will be full and bright.

October 19/20 1999

0945-1045 UT  1.00  6.68  0 EGE  0 OAR/NTA  14 ORI  1 OAR/STA  10 SPO
1045-1145 UT  1.00  6.71  0 EGE  0 OAR/NTA  18 ORI  1 OAR/STA   9 SPO
1145-1245 UT  1.00  6.67  1 EGE  0 OAR/NTA  19 ORI  1 OAR/STA  17 SPO

TOTALS:       3.00  6.69  1 EGE  0 OAR/NTA  51 ORI  3 OAR/STA  36 SPO

The first column gives the period watched stated in Universal Time (UT)
which is PDT + 7 hours. The second column gives the percent of that
particular hour actually spent observing the sky. Time was lost for
plotting and data entry tonight. The third column gives the average
limiting magnitude estimated during each period with a minimum of 4
estimates using at least 2 and preferably 3 different sky areas close to
my center of view. The last several columns list the activity seen
during each period.

I was facing South at an altitude of 70 degrees during the entire
session. No breaks were taken. EGE = Epsilon Geminids, OAR/NTA = October
Arietids/Northern Taurids, ORI = Orionids, OAR/STA = October Arietids/
Southern Taurids, and SPO = Sporadic (random activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   59 F (15 C) 17%
Ending         "         "         "       58 F (14 C) 15%

MAGNITUDES:

EGE:     +4 (1)                                     AVERAGE: +4.00
OAR/NTA: NONE SEEN
ORI:     -4 (1) -1 (3)  0 (1) +1 (2) +2 (9) +3 (13)
         +4 (16) +5 (6)                             AVERAGE: +2.86
OAR/STA: +3 (1) +4 (2)                              AVERAGE: +3.67
SPO:     -1 (1) +1 (1) +2 (5) +3 (6) +4 (13) +5 (8)
         +6 (2)                                     AVERAGE: +3.67

Bob Lunsford
San Diego, CA USA