[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid max

In a message dated 10/20/1999 12:52:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
excel@sioldot net writes:

<< Are we going to see a double maximum this year (pretty much like in 1998)?
The predicted ZHR 1000 - 1500 maximum (2:08 UT Nov 18) does not coincide with
the orbital plane crossing which is at 23:00 UT ( Nov 17) - if I understand
correct. If this is the case, then Eastern Europe and the Near East really
will be the place to be. >>

    There likely will not be a pronounced double maximum as was the case in
1998.  In 1998 we had an unusual filament of resonant meteors (which produced
the fireball bevy approximately 18 hours prior to the nodal crossing).  This
activity was juxtaposed on the "background component" of the Leonid stream.
A secondary maximum was noted approximately an hour after the nodal crossing
and was associated with the "storm component" of the Leonid stream -- i.e.,
fresh particles that were ejected from 55P/Tempel-Tuttle in 1899.  In 1999,
it is anticipated that the resonant meteor filament will be all but gone
(having moved back out into space) and the storm component will (hopefully)
be much more active as opposed to last year.

    The time of nodal crossing in 1999 is scheduled for around 02:00 UT on
November 18, not 23:00 UT on November 17 (as a few publications such as the
RASC Handbook have erroneously alluded to).  If this be the case, the best
region to see this year's peak will be Europe and north Africa.

-- joe rao